Thursday, April 2, 2015

Decided to start keeping a dev blog

My personal experiences with maintaining and working with a blog is minimal, so forgive me for my poor layout and lack of content. While learning and furthering my understanding of GML, I decided that creating a simple game would be a great way to go about keeping track of my progress and growth, as well as posting the progress to gauge my potential.

And this is where we bring in Sokoban Crawler. What started initially as an attempt to understand grid-based movement (instead of pixel based), became the foundation for it. As for the name, probably just a placeholder as I think using the word Sokoban would be a breach in some patent. But the title coarsely defines the point of the game. Sokoban with some kind of Adventure aspect of it.

Although I've only been working on it for about a day, I've learned one thing about the Room Editor for Game Maker: Studio. It is terrible. Either that, or I'm going about it the wrong way.

The editor reminds me a bit of the RPG Maker interface, but tiling and object placement has a clunky feel. And for some bizarre reason despite having the ability to create hundreds of thousands of layers. Yoyo Games omitted an ability to label them..

Among other headaches, I'm still trying to figure out how to get my collision to work with my "object pushing" function.

I'll update this post as I figure things out. For now there isn't much to see. Just the "home" map and an empty "dungeon" map which will be for the puzzles.

No comments:

Post a Comment