Thursday, April 16, 2015

[Progress] Just a heads up [not display]

Sorry no GIF for this Progress post, for the time being I've scrapped dozens of attempts to create a working HUD. I decided for the time being to use my original HUD with a few improvements until I can get some actual better ideas of why nothing I attempt seems to fit well. It's taken up more than any other issue I've had with development up until now.

With that said, once I finish my cobbled together makeshift HUD, I will be rebuilding my framework from the ground up. Having looked through some of my older objects, the GML is just a disaster. Pages of commented out obsolete code from earlier versions everywhere. Luckily I have been keeping a habit of meticulously commenting everything, obsolete GML or not. What this means is future development on Sokoban Crawler will be more organized and I'll be able to utilize my Sokoban/Grid Movement framework and use it for other projects.

With that said, time for some stuff about what has been going through my mind with the game. Temporarily I have disabled the "lockpick" item. Initially it was because after scaling up the sprite, it started to look more like a hammer. But then I realized, that one of my goals was to limit the amount of resources (coin, keys, etc) for the player to force them make their choices more carefully. So for the time being keys will open doors and chests.

Health (?) and Stamina bars. At the moment my intent was to just simply have the hero die if anything harmful touches him. I might add health to let players buy equipment/armor to give him a bit more protection from the elements of the dungeon. As for the stamina, it will be a fixed amount that can increase over time (under certain circumstances), and will only drain while pushing the boulder, another element to restrict careless play.

I think that I am just about to reach my initial goals of creating my Sokoban-like game. But the element of Sokoban itself seems to be not as interesting to other people as I thought it would be. The dungeon might become shelved and used as an alternative to something else with the game. Not sure yet, I'll deal with it once everything is settled down.

No comments:

Post a Comment