Monday, April 13, 2015

[Progress] HUD development - part 2

Not much to show for the weekend's worth of progress. Creating a HUD is a lot harder than I anticipated it to be. Well, I did expect some challenges, but poring through dozens of screenshots and discussing with a few of my friends about HUDs that have been used in other games and why they were good really felt like hitting dead ends. From what I've observed, the best HUDs were like good paintings with the shadows done correctly; you didn't notice them. It's only when something was wrong or ambiguous did it suddenly become glaringly obvious, and in some cases a hindrance.

For the time being, I finally went about replacing the text heavy placeholder HUD with a combination of sprites and numbers instead. The sprite-based window for the HUD background is a big improvement as well. I need to readjust the position of all the HUD elements again, but that won't be a huge priority for the time being. The sprite-based window is a script I plan to use for the upcoming menu system as well.

I need to carefully plan out and arrange all the elements in a way that can inform the player at a single momentary glance without any breaks in game flow.

No comments:

Post a Comment