Sunday, April 5, 2015

[To Do] Framework nearing completion

  • Work on a finite state machine, the boulder is going to need one when I start developing him further
  • Surfaces?
  • Add UI? Merge inventory into a HUD?
  • Add start screen
  • Polish up the inventory system and appearance
  • More puzzle elements
  • Add functions to the town

Today was productive, managed to tackle a 3-day long problem (damn boulder collision), while getting started on the inventory system. For the time being it'll suffice, but I'll have to find a non-intrusive way to display the inventory without causing as much clutter as it is. I may scrap it altogether and embed it within the UI and have it display a numerical value rather than the element itself. This would give more space to the player without feeling crowded in, the viewing size is only 640x480, so it does not leave me much room to create a spot dedicated to the UI out of the playing area, maybe orient it vertically with a smaller text size?).

I'll start designing a few demo puzzle rooms without anything too complicated to get a feel for how things should develop there. I want there to be a sense of urgency, without too much pressure. But at the same time to keep the player thinking, with the constraints they are given with, time, boulder durability (I'm really liking this idea already), keys available, traps, lives?

As for the last bullet point, I want the town to serve some purpose of some kind. The hero needs to rest after a long day of shoving a boulder. Perhaps this town is known for shoving boulders, and has a boulder smith to design better boulders/equipment to handle them better. I'm starting to go beyond simplicity at this point, but the point being, I'm hoping that the two rooms in the game: Town and Dungeon, will both equally serve purposes without starting to overcomplicate things.

No comments:

Post a Comment