Monday, April 6, 2015

[To Do] It feels like a floodgate has opened

  • Surfaces + state machine
  • Revamp/improve UI + inventory management
  • Start screen
  • Puzzle design theory
  • Give the town purpose

Even though it is quite minor, I gave the boulder some animation states just so it feels like you're pushing it as opposed to watching it appear to be effortlessly sliding across the map with the hero in tow.

Here are some thoughts/lessons that I came across as I tackled the things I did during today's progress: Use relative values whenever possible, it'll save yourself time and a headache in the long run (especially if it is creating instances), don't make a puzzle game unless you are willing to take the time to make sure they are 1) Solvable and 2) Interesting/Fun. If you don't have fun with the puzzle, the rest of the puzzles are going to feel like a drag. Even designing the puzzles can give me a sense of soul crushing defeat, in the sense that I have failed to create a lasting/interesting puzzle with some challenges (maybe because there are no unique elements implemented quite yet). Although any veteran coder would already know these things; something I am not.

Tomorrow evening I'll go full sprint with the puzzle design and compile a demo for my friend to play. It helps to have a second pair of eyes to know what the game is lacking, and I know it's lacking a lot. But some direction would definitely give me a second wind.

No comments:

Post a Comment