Monday, April 6, 2015

[Progress] Designing the dungeon - part 2

After struggling with the previous tileset, I resorted to using a basic set which has worked wonders for placement. Removed the animated nodes for a pressure plate tile instead, boulders utilize pressure plates a whole lot better than they do with ethereal nodes.

I haven't been able to get the pressure plates to work quite yet. I'm still going through trial and error with figuring out how to determine when a puzzle has been successfully completed. A few things I attempted were using room creation codes to make the obj_key objects invisible at the start and toggle their visibility after the appropriate collisions were detected. However the player was still able to pick up the key by walking over the object even when invisible. Another problem was creating trigger events that would even spawn the key in the first place using instance_create();. The documentation explaining instance_id(); was extremely disappointing and lacking for what I could potentially use it for sadly.

I decided to shelve the initial idea of having all the puzzles interconnected in one large room, as it did not allow the player to be surprised with each new room they enter. Honestly, the primary reason I had initially had them all interconnected was due to my inability to understand views properly. After a lot of experimentation, I finally clicked. As a result, rooms will all be separated and I will eventually add sliding transitions to make it feel like one large dungeon that you are exploring.

Lastly, more collision issues as always. At the end of the GIF you'll notice my character is pushing a boulder against the locked door, which is causing some interesting behavior. This might be because of my move_snap(16,16); line I have at the end of all the movement code for obj_player. I'll have to mess around with adding another !place_meeting(); argument to my movement checks I think.

No comments:

Post a Comment