Monday, April 27, 2015

[Thoughts] Game Direction

My friend has been one of the people I know personally who faithfully reads the blog and checks up with me occasionally to see how Sokoban Crawler is coming along. He has made some very good points as to where I have been going and what I should be looking at. That and he really doesn't like Sokoban.

I don't blame him, I enjoy many simple things. But he's right, what I've been doing has simply been creating a mechanic that, by itself will appeal to a narrow audience. He made a good comparison to a game I had not played more than a few minutes of, ATLUS' Catherine. Which tethered the players between the dream (puzzle) and the pub (social/hub).

Some ideas that were bounced around in our conversation included introducing an aspect of competition involved. Whether it be having two players race to complete and progress further into the dungeon. Or some kind of Bomberman/Tetris aspect where you try to win while trying to interfere and/or end the other player. Perhaps the goal of the game is no longer about completing the puzzle itself, but simply doing what you need to get the key to get to the next room instead. Interesting food for thought and inspiration.

I don't know how to program fun. But I hope that this will shake me awake and make me more aware of the overall "end game" of this project.

No comments:

Post a Comment